Do YOU want to start your day with the best possible approach?
Would YOU like to be more calm and relaxed throughout your daily routine?
Do YOU want to be able to live more in the present moment and enjoy your life?
- are struggling with getting out of bed eager to embrace a NEW day and all the opportunities that it offers,
- are feeling overwhelmed,
- are not seeing positivity anywhere,
YOU will find some useful tips that I have been using and which hopefully will give a boost to your day.
Since I started applying them daily I’ve switched my attitude and mood from a negative one:
“Here it is, another f*cking boring day is starting”.
to a positive one:
“Life is wonderful, I’ll make the most out of it”.
I have moved from being reactive to being proactive.
This has increased my performance and the fulfillment of my daily tasks and goals.
1. BEING GRATEFUL
The first, simplest, and maybe most powerful tool is GRATEFULNESS!
How often do YOU spend a moment before starting your day thinking how lucky YOU are, for the opportunity to live another day?
Do YOU take it for granted without paying attention to it?
Just think for a moment!
While YOU are opening your eyes somebody else somewhere is leaving this world forever.
Isn’t that enough for being grateful?
YOU are lucky to be here, again, ready to catch up with all the opportunities that life offers YOU.
Ready to live a fulfilling and meaningful day.
The first step to start living gratefully is to become conscious that every moment, even right NOW, while YOU are reading this post, is a gift.
The most valuable thing that can ever be given to YOU, with all the opportunities that it carries.
It’s your own decision!
Gratefulness is always a choice and happiness
is the outcome as well as a profound increase in your overall health.
Being grateful is the basis of happiness.
Happiness never comes from anywhere outside of YOU or from another person.
YOU are not grateful because YOU are happy, but YOU become happy because YOU are grateful.
And I guess that YOU, like everyone else on this planet, want to be happy.
Bearing this in mind, is it worth giving it a go?
The more grateful YOU are the more YOU will start attracting pleasant stuff to your life like a magnet that draws things to itself.
It’s the law of attraction!!
YOU will begin to see opportunities that were hidden for YOU.
Gratitude is completely eye-opening.
YOU will start feeling part of something bigger than yourself, part of the universe.
YOU will find out that the world around YOU is continuously supporting, assisting, and helping YOU.
This makes YOU feel more connected and above all gives YOU a feeling of fulness which strengthens YOU.
It enables YOU to start looking at the circumstances YOU are in from a different perspective.
And to come up with great intuitions and solutions to overcome also the most difficult situations.
Don’t get me wrong!
YOU cannot be grateful for anything but YOU can be grateful at any time for the opportunity to:
- experience and live in any situation,
- respond consciously and proactively to it rather than reacting passively to events.
It is easy to miss the moment, to not experience, and to not lives it.
In this society, everyone rushes through life without embracing the present, this moment, here, right NOW.
Below YOU will find other interesting reasons for starting to be grateful.
A research study, posted in Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience illustrates:
When YOU feel grateful for your life, this positive emotion floods your brain with oxytocin.
This hormone makes you feel:
- less anxious,
as shown in this article published in Clinical Psychopharmacology and Neuroscience.
By only thinking and stating to yourself:
“Thank you, Universe, for gifting me another wonderful day full of beauty and wonders”.
as soon as you wake up and any time something YOU usually take for granted such as:
- a sunny day,
- a meal with your family,
- a meeting with a friend, etc
happens, your attitude to life changes.
Try it for yourself!
I want to share with YOU another way how I practice gratitude.
Not only as soon as I wake up but also throughout the day and before going to bed.
I slow down, I take a moment to look back and recognize whatever I have achieved so far.
For instance, two years ago I could not speak a word of English and now YOU are reading my writing in English.
It's really exciting! Isn't it?
Take a few moments every day to:
- bring gratitude to the journey YOU are on,
- recognize the gap between where YOU were and where you have come,
- be conscious of the pitfalls YOU have overcome,
- become aware of all the achievements that you have attained.
I am sure that YOU too can self-congratulate and be thankful for what you have already achieved in your personal journey so far.
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow”. - Melody Beattie
2. MEDITATION (CALL TO WAKE UP)
MEDITATION or MINDFULNESS like Gratefulness is another practice that can help YOU to start your day in the best possible way.
It aims to put YOU in a state where YOU experience the PRESENT moment!
There are different types of Meditation that allow YOU to master your own mind.
They create a constructive and positive relationship between your thoughts and emotions.
One of the basic and most effective ones is focusing on breathing!
Have YOU already tried this technique?
If so, I guess YOU have noticed how easily and quickly your mind gets lost among the myriad of thoughts that wander in your mind.
This is the time when the technique shows its effectiveness when YOU can start mastering your mind.
YOU notice that your mind is chasing one of your countless thoughts and YOU bring your focus back to breathing.
It’s not a matter of trying to push your thoughts away, to stop them.
Instead what YOU want to do is to go back to the PRESENT moment.
I remember when I first started this practice my mind got lost in my thoughts and I felt frustrated and like I was failing my practice.
I used to think:
“I should not have allowed my thoughts to interfere and distract me”.
In time, yet I managed to reconnect with my breath more and more easily, and I was no longer considering my thinking as an obstacle.
Every time YOU feel physical and emotional discomfort throughout your day, it is the right time for training!
When YOU are stuck in a traffic jam or stand in a queue do you ever feel tense and think YOU are wasting your time?
Do you try to get rid of these physical and emotional feelings?
YOU should not try to restrain them but YOU should accept them!
This attitude will increase your awareness and focus on living in the PRESENT moment.
Let’s have a closer look at the steps to follow:
- find a comfortable position (I opt for seating rather than lying down),
- close your eyes,
- breathe in three times through your nose, and breathe out three times through your mouth,
- become aware of your body, scan it,
- feel all the points of contact between the ground and your feet,
- between the seat, and your bottom,
- between the chair, and your back,
- open your eyes,
- express your wish to benefit others,
- look straight in front of you and imagine you are looking at the ocean and there’s no boundary.
- your mind is going to get lost and distracted (the crucial moment for starting to master your mind),
- look through those distractions like waves, natural parts of the ocean, of YOU, accept them and become aware of them,
- return to your breath,
- become aware of your body, scan it,
- feel all the points of contacts, between the ground and your feet,
- between the seat, and your bottom,
- between the chair, and your back,
- end the session by expressing the wish to benefit others.
Studies have shown that MINDFULNESS MEDITATION can benefit people suffering from:
- chronic pain.
Another study has proved that through consistent practice you can:
- reduce stress,
- develop more focus and more mental clarity.
3. MANTRAS (POWERFUL WORDS)
Even if it may sound weird to repeat words and phrases out loud or to yourself.
You will see how this practice can help YOU to tune into a positive mood.
Mantras can help YOU to break the loop of negativity originated by negative words and thoughts repeated over and over.
This study illustrates how mantra affirmations can lead to widespread deactivation in the human cortex.
The area of the brain is associated with self-reflection and self-judgment.
Mantras can also be used to:
- bring YOU back to the present moment,
- motivate yourself,
- help YOU to make decisions that otherwise you wouldn’t take because of your self-sabotage.
Here are the four main reasons why starting rehearsing mantras is worth:
- YOU become more present-focused and YOU cut off negative rumination,
- YOU become more resilient and YOU withstand stressful situations better,
- YOU become more confident
- YOU start believing in what you say to yourself and YOU will manifest it.
What is stated above can be summarized as follows:
"CHANGE YOUR WORDS AND YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE".
Deep inside yourself, YOU have the power to overcome what could appear an insurmountable obstacle.
YOU have the power to improve, to grow, to heal, to manifest your full potential.
I want to share with YOU some of the mantras that are part of my morning and daily routine.
- I AM MORE THAN I APPEAR TO BE, STRENGTH AND POWER REST INSIDE ME,
- I CAN ACHIEVE WHATEVER GOALS I SET UP,
- NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO ME IN MY LIFE, I ALONE HAVE THE CAPACITY TO CHOOSE MY RESPONSE TO IT AND TO OVERCOME EVERY CHALLENGE,
- I AM SO HAPPY AND GRATEFUL NOW THAT EVERY MOLECULE OF MY BEING IS VIBRATING IN PERFECT HARMONY WITH THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE,
- I AM SO HAPPY AND GRATEFUL THAT MY BODY, MY MIND AND MY SOUL ARE GETTING HEALTHIER, STRONGER AND MORE VIBRANT EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY,
- I AM IN CHARGE OF AND RESPONSIBLE FOR MY HEALTH, FOR MY WEALTH, FOR MY RELATIONSHIPS, FOR MY DESTINY AND MY LIFE,
- I AM THE CREATOR AND THE ORIGINATOR OF MY DESTINY AND OF MY LIFE,
Now I let it to your own imagination to choose and to create the statements that most suit YOU!
4. USE YOUR MUSCLES
I am sure that YOU have already heard about BODY-MIND CONNECTION.
They are extremely connected, that’s why YOU should take some time to nurture both of them.
In the first three tips, I have focused my attention on the mind.
Now I want to stress also the importance of starting your day with some exercise.
Different studies have shown how physical activity, above all aerobic exercises like:
- tai chi etc,
can positively affect different mood disorders such as:
and can develop your tolerance for these discomforts.
As a consequence, your confidence, self-esteem and general sense of well being will increase.
Last but not least other studies have also proven the interrelation between physical activity and cognitive performance.
- oxygen-vascularization and takes more glucose to the brain,
- brain activity;
The accelerated brain activity favors:
- development of complex movement-related neural circuits and their interconnection with executive brain functions.
Always remember the importance of hydration; I always drink a glass of water before and after my daily-physical sessions.
Maybe now that YOU have got to the end of this article you are asking yourself:
“Well, where do I find the time to put these four hints into practice?”.
Or maybe YOU are wondering, as I did myself:
“Why should I bother?”.
Let me tell YOU that the four practices mentioned above except for the aerobic exercises require five minutes each day.
If YOU run short of time YOU may decide to use the stairs rather than the elevator, walk or ride to work instead of driving.
Another solution could be setting your alarm clock earlier like I have been doing for a while.
Do YOU know that the most successful people wake up very early?
They do it because it gives YOU time to work on yourself, to focus on your personal growth and development.
After all, we all have 24 hours a day, what makes a big difference is how YOU choose to invest your time.
This is what I did:
I decided to cut down on tv watching in the evening and to get up 1 h earlier in the morning.
This has allowed me to better adjust my daily routine to my personal growth.
Think about it!
How different would your life be if you had 365 extra hours of working on yourself at the end of the year?
Is it worth waking up one hour earlier to set up a positive mood and enhance your chance to do your daily tasks?
I believe that if YOU have got this far in this post YOU are determined enough to give it a go.
And make these practices a habit and see by yourself the results that these four tips will bring into your life.
“IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE, YOU WILL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS GOT”. - Henry Ford
It’s high time to change your habits and take up NEW empowering practices to make a masterpiece of your life!